Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Rain?

What is going on? Yesterday it was about 85-90 degrees out and perfectly sunny but today its sprinkling and pretty chilly. At least I know it wont be snowing... :)

So, the day after Halloween we just kind of sat around at Roys, which we are dubbing OUR coffee shop, then we went back to the hostel and didnt really do too much worth mentioning but we did invite a bunch of people to go with us to Manly Beach on Monday.

Katie, Louisnia Katie, Roommate Kate, Roommate Danny, Steve, Ashley and I walked to Circular Quay which took about half an hour and then we picked up the ferry to Manly. I liked the downtown area of Manly better than Bondi, but the beach at Bondi was more enjoyable. The sand was better and the waves were bigger, however Manly was at a disadvantage because the weather wasnt as nice as we had been hoping. It would get SCORCHING hot for about a minute then the clouds would pass and it would be cold for awhile. Kind of annoying, but im sure it saved me from a terrible sunburn.

Louisina Katie (I need to think of a shorter nickname) went swimming with Ashley and when she came out she asked if anyone had a tissue. I asked her what she needed it for and she just sort of pointed at her face. I assumed she wanted it to wipe her mascara off so I gave her my black headband because I figured it would just blend in and I just used it to work out anyway. I threw it to her and she asked me about 20 times if I was sure she could use it and I continually said "Yes, Yes its fine!". Idiot. Yes, as im sure you all have already guessed she blew her nose in it. Some things never change. Like my luck.

When it got too cold to stay any longer we headed home. When we got back to the hostel we were informed that we would be going to The Sugarmill that evening with everyone. Our roommate Thomas who is French had also told us that he was going to make us dinner. I think I love him, it was SO good. It was chicken in a cream sauce (that was sour cream based and I wasnt even mad), with mushrooms and onions all put over rice. He also made a carrot salad which was so simple and really good. It was shredded carrots with oil, vinegar, garlic,and something else but unfortunately my memory sucks and ill never be able to tell you what it is. It was so good, Katie even tried a piece of chicken (which wasnt really her fault since Thomas snuck it in with her mushrooms), and she didnt even complain. So after we ate we were off to the Sugarmill.

The place was pretty classy and Jamie had managed to kick a whole group of people out of a section of couches...which we really didnt need since we just got up and started dancing anyway. At one point Sir Mix-a-Lot came on (for you parents out there its the song that goes "I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny...) Louisiana Katie(LK from here on out), Katie, and I went crazy because it was definitely not something any of us had expected to hear. At one point Katie looked around and realized that all the people had created a space between us and them, kinda like a buffer- safety zone type thing around us. The people were also giving us looks as if we were insane. This also could have been because we kept shouting "TEAM AMERICA!" Who knows.... After a bit we went home and then to bed.

Yesterday, Katie and I woke up went to the Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool, which is right over the bay and swam. To my unfortunate surprise the pool was filled with salt water. It tasted terrible and burned my eyes like crazy. ALSO, as you might image but never crossed my mind, the direction of the circle swim is opposite. I wasnt a fan, but im sure ill get over it. Though, we still havent gotten used to looking right, left right when we cross the streets. We've almost been run over about a thousand times. Darby Danny always screams "TO THE RIGHT" whenever he sees us crossing the street. Thanks Danny. As a side note, Danny also saved us from a horrible death. He was walking down the stairs and to his surprise heard terrible screams coming from our room. Katie had flung open the door in search of someone to save us, and luckily enough Danny had come running! He came in saying, "I heard some screams which seemed to signify lesbian love so I came straight away", unfortunately for him there was no love, but a cockroach the size of Katie's hand. He put it in a mug and threw it out the window. Im sure now its somewhere in my luggage...sneaky little bug.

Yesterday was uneventful and we just sent out applications and resumes, or "CV's" all day until we went to Kings Cross Thai, which was SO good, for dinner. It put No Thai to shame. Then we went out to The World Bar last night. This place was the most like a nightclub of all the bars we have gone to. It was three or four stories and had about 3 bars in it. The very bottom floor had all of the flashing lights and that jazz while the upper levels were more laid back and kind of hang around-like. People were doing karaoke and getting DOWN. Katie even managed to keep her contacts in all night. No thanks to me.

The night pretty much ended there and we all walked back to the hostel and hung around for awhile. People were watching Highlander when we got there... I had no idea it was such a TERRIBLE movie..."There can only be one..." It only sounds good when Dane Cook uses it in his skit about the tire hitting Mary in the face.HA. Always funny.

So some things we've realized:
-Traffic coming from the opposite direction is scarier than you think
-We cant talk to anyone in bars because of the usual things like, the noise, everyone talking at once, music but when you throw in everyone's crazy accents (especially the Irish) its IMPOSSIBLE to carry a conversation
-We may not be the stereotypical American's but we apparently "maul" people when we meet them. Both Roommate Danny and Felix told us that we were kind of a lot to handle when they first met us. Very smiley and we basically extracted their life stories from them in two minutes. Who knew we were overwhelming?
-The squiggly lines in the middle of the road signify when you can make a turn
-Im obsessed with the squiggly lines. Ive asked about them about three thousand times
-I dont know how to upload the pictures from my memory card to my computer (oops)
-Rats are as big as squirrels
-Outlets (or power points) are up near the ceiling as opposed to near the floor in some places
-Guys in bars are MUCH nicer, less skeezy and a tad more forward about getting drinks
-We havent been here for a week yet and it seems like forever
-Steve is NOT a batologist and if you ask him if the bats in the gardens have rabies he will make up a BS answer
-There are these CRAZY birds called Ibis, that are CREEPY and I want to kick them. They are like pigeons at home.

1 comment:

  1. Just curious, but my guess is that Katie was at least as inquisitive as Jacque during the mauling.

    ReplyDelete