Monday, January 4, 2010

Sydney Opera House

Debbie and Henry (being the amazing people that they are) took Katie, Ryan and I to the Sydney Opera House to see a comedy show called "2009: That Was The Year That Was". We had a drink at the bar inside and then went outside and took some pictures. The show was about to start so we walked to our seats which were about 30 rows up, dead center. At first a band came out and planned a small opening song for the MC and during that short time I could tell that the acoustics in that place far exceeded the expectations that I had. It was amazing.

The first few comedians that came out were mediocre, followed by two pretty funny ladies whose names are, at the moment, eluding me and then there were these two guys that redid songs and played them with their guitars and basically just made them hilarious, they were really good. The show kept getting broken up by a guy who would talk about the top four things that happened in 2009. One section was like athletic scandals one of them was about the women who destroyed her competition in the 100m dash or something like that, but it actually turned out "she" was a he. Followed by some Michael Phelps and the weed incident, Serena Williams and her blowout with the ref and then of course....as was the theme of the night it seemed, Tiger Woods. If I hear one more Tiger Woods joke...I have no idea what I will do, but, I can assure you, it will be less than pleasant.

The last guy seemed like he was going to be hysterical, he was clearly drunk and had created a "poem" of everyting that had happened in 2009. It literally lasted 10 minutes and by the end we were all wishing it wold just be over. He did have this one joke at the start that was kind of cute in a really sad way, "I had this girlfriend once who knew I really liked Dr. Seuss, she broke up with me by leaving a note that read 'I really like green eggs and ham, but not you". Or something to that effect. I guess that's not really cute at all, at the time I thought it was hysterical.

After the show ended we started walking back to Circular Quay to catch a train when we heard what sounded like karaoke. We looked below us to find a bar, the Opera Bar, to be exact. It was rad. Right on the Sydney Harbour with a live band. Pretty expensive bu the atmosphere was delightful. We had a drink there then jumped on the train. I was STARVING so Katie and I got off at Kings Cross to go to Pie Face, im telling you im going to steal a whole Pie Face store and bring it back to the US. Katie and I LOVE pie...im drooling at the moment.

We then jumped back on the train and headed home. All in all it was a really good night! Thank you Groth family :)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment