Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas!

Having my first Christmas EVER away from my family was NOT something I was looking forward to at all. THe past 22 years of my life I had gone to my grandparents house in Santa Clara where my whole family would congregate, eat FAR too much, be hasseled by whoever was the youngest at the time to open presents, then sit around for hours while the smallest(which, ironically, up until about 5 years ago was my cousin Amanda and I)kids passed out the presents and then we would eat dessert and talk for ages.

This year was a little different. I woke up on a couch, something not totally out of the ordinary but at the time I could not recall where I was. Mostly because the apartment was immacculate, it didnt smell like a college dorm room, and there was the sweetest face in the world waking me up. Katie's mom! Then it hit me that I had fallen asleep on Henry, Debbie and Ryan Groth's couch on Christmas Eve. Katie's mom and brother came a few days before and Henry had just recently arrived.

That morning we lounged around and watched a movie opened a few cards and basically enjoyed each others company. It was SO nice to have the Groth's there since they are basically my pseudo family...whether they like it or not:)

A few hours later I jumped on a bus to go home. I had gotten a text from our friend Hannah who told me they were having people over for dinner. My new roommate Dan and I went over there at about 3 and hung out with Hannah, Jen(Who was cooking), Steve, Chris, Rick, Jamie and . I went into the kitchen to help (aka watch) Jen cook. She was making mini hamburgers, salad, sausage, coleslaw, potatoes, mini kababs, and some other things im sure im forgetting. Delicious.

After we ate a few people started getting cranky because NONE of us had realized that basically nowhere in Sydney can you buy alcohol on Christmas Day (or Good Friday apparently). The previous day I had been wondering why people were getting SO much alcohol at the stores. Literally people were pushing out 20 cases of 40beers per case. The reason was because they are all smarter than us. After that we hung out for awhile and I stole a few books from their apartment. Im currenty reading Lolita and as Henry pointed out, probably should have gotten the annotated version. Ill need to get a full analysis of the book when im finished:)

Anyway, after that I was so full I basically went home and passed out. Overall it was a really good day despite the fact that I was missing that family of mine:(

1 comment:

  1. It was great spending Christmas with you this year Jacque. After you finish "Lolita" you might enjoy the lyrics from the Police song "Don't Stand So Close to Me" If you aren't familiar with the song, I can play it for you when you get back to Santa Clara. Party on!!

    ReplyDelete